Wollaton Hall Camellia House
Wollaton Hall, built at the close of the 16th century, is one of the finest examples of an Elizabethan house in the country (featured in the most recent Batman films as Wayne Manor). The park, now a public park at the edge of Nottingham City, still retains its walls and a two herds of deer, as well as containing a golf course and being an enormously popular destination for the people of the city and location for major events. Within the terraced gardens, there remains one of the earliest examples of a cast iron glasshouse (built in 1823), now containing a 20th century collection of camellias. Repairs undertaken in the 1980s failed to halt the deterioration of much of the building and by the early part of this century the structure required such major repairs it needed to be dismantled and taken off-site.
In 2004, as part of Hilary Taylor Landscape Associates Ltd, Erika undertook a survey of the camellias in the Camellia House. Each plant was recorded and flowers were sent to the head gardener at Mount Edgcumbe House, home of the National Camellia Collection, for identification. Recommendations were also made for the protection of the camellias during the restoration of the structure and for their future management.
The Camellia House is listed Grade II*, and Wollaton Park is Grade II* on the English Heritage Register of parks and gardens of special interest. For more information on visiting Wollaton Park, click here.